The Echoes of Room 712

 





The Echoes of Room 712


Enjoy reading for free; if you like the story, and would like to offer a donation it would really be appreciated

Blog Short Stories   I also write short stories for all. 

Mail me at joubertles@yahoo.com


Chapter 1

The hospital was unusually quiet that January night. The air seemed to hum with an expectant silence as if the building itself was bracing for an oncoming storm. I stood in the nurses' station, the clock on the wall marking time with a soft, persistent tick. 

It was 9 PM. The usual hustle of the evening shift was absent, replaced by an eerie calm. I hung the stethoscope around my neck and hurried toward room 712, the last room in the long corridor. 

The new patient, Mr. Williams, had been admitted just a few hours earlier—a solitary man with no visitors and nothing to say about his family.


As I entered room 712, Mr. Williams looked up eagerly, only to look away in disappointment when he saw it was just me, his nurse. His blue eyes, set deep in a prematurely aged face, were filled with a mixture of hope and resignation. 

I pressed the stethoscope against his chest, listening to the strong, slow heartbeat—a comforting sound after his mild heart attack earlier that day.

He studied me from his bed, white sheets almost blending with his pale skin. "Nurse, could you..." He hesitated, his blue eyes filling with tears. 

He had tried to ask me something earlier but had changed his mind. I touched his hand gently and waited.

He wiped a tear from his cheek. "Could you please call my daughter? Tell her I've had a mild heart attack. You see, I live alone, and she's the only family I have." 

His breathing quickened suddenly, and I turned up his oxygen flow to 8 liters per minute. "Of course, I'll call her," I reassured him, watching his face closely.


He gripped the sheets and leaned forward, his face contorted with anxiety. "Will you call her immediately, as soon as possible?" His breathing was frantic. "I'll call her right now," I tried to calm him. "But you need to relax."


I turned off the light, straightened the sheets, and he closed his eyes. Beautiful blue eyes, but far too old for his fifty years. Room 712 was dark, except for a faint nightlight. 

Oxygen bubbled softly through the green tubes by his bed. I lingered, moving to the window. The frames were cold under my hand. Mist hung over the hospital parking area below, and thick rain clouds covered the night sky. A shiver ran down my spine.

"Nurse," came the voice from the bed again, "could you bring me pen and paper, please?"

 I took a piece of green paper and a pen from my pocket, placed it on the bedside table. "Thank you," he said softly. I smiled at him and left.

Back in the nurses' station, I sat down and pulled the phone closer. His daughter's number was on his admission form, and I dialed it. 

A soft voice answered, "Hello, this is Janie speaking." "Janie, this is Sue Kidd, a nurse at the hospital. I'm calling about your father. He was admitted today with a mild heart attack..." "No!" she screamed, "don't tell me he's dying!" Her voice was more a painful exclamation than a question.

"His condition is stable at the moment," I tried to reassure her. Silence. "Please don't let him die!" 

Her voice was desperate, and my hand trembled. "He's receiving the best care," I said. "You don't understand," she pleaded. "My daddy and I haven't spoken for almost a year. We had a terrible argument about my boyfriend on my 21st birthday. 

I ran out of the house and haven't been back since. All these months, I've wanted to apologize, but the last thing I yelled at him was I HATE YOU."

Her voice broke, and I heard her heart-wrenching sobs. I could only sit and listen to the pain in her voice. A father and daughter, so lost to each other. I thought of my own daddy, so far away, and felt an overwhelming need to tell him I loved him.

As Janie tried to control her tears, I prayed softly for her over the phone. "Father, let this daughter experience her father's forgiveness."

"I'm coming," she said. "I'll be there in 30 minutes," and she hung up. I tried to keep busy with the files, but room 712 kept calling me back. I ran down the hall and opened the door. 

Mr. Williams lay motionless. I reached for his pulse. Nothing. "Code 99, room 712, now!" Mr. Williams had a cardiac arrest. I flattened the bed and bent over him, breathing air into his lungs. I counted 1, 2, 3, and did it again. He had to live. He couldn't die now.

"Lord," I cried, "his daughter is on her way. Please don't let it end this way. Please, Lord, help."


The door burst open, and doctors and nurses filled the room with medical equipment. The doctor took over from me, and the team worked as one. 

"Stand back," the doctor ordered, and they shocked his heart. "Lord, please don't let his daughter live with bitterness and hatred. She's on her way. Let her make peace."

Again and again, the heart was shocked. No response. Mr. Williams was gone.

There was a deathly silence. The oxygen was turned off. How could this happen? How would I look his daughter in the eye? When I went out, I saw her against the wall. 

One of the doctors who had been in room 712 stood with her. When he moved away, she sank to the floor. I took her hand and led her to the office. Her eyes reflected the pain inside her. "Janie, I'm so sorry." "I never really hated him, you know. I loved him very much. Can I please see him?"


My first thought was that the pain would be too much, but I put my arm around her, and together we walked down the long hall to room 712. 

She opened the door herself, walked to the bed, and pressed her face against the sheets, raw sobs racking her body. I looked at the bedside table. There was the piece of green paper I had given him earlier. In shaky handwriting, it read: 

"My dearest daughter Janie, I have forgiven you, and my prayer is that you will forgive me too. I know you love me as much as I love you. Lots of love, Daddy."

I touched her and held the piece of paper out to her. She read it once, then a second time. Then a light broke through on her face. She pressed the piece of paper tightly to her chest.


"Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer."


Life is so fragile—here today, gone tomorrow. I hurried to the phone and dialed a number. "Hello, Daddy? No, nothing's wrong. I just wanted to tell you that I love you very, very much. Sleep well."


Start this new day without the baggage of yesterday. May everyone enjoy a wonderful day in God's presence?



Chapter 2: 

A Year of Silence


After that night, I couldn't shake the memory of Janie and Mr. Williams. 

Their story haunted me, a reminder of how fragile relationships can be and how quickly they can be severed. 

I thought often of my own family, especially my father, who lived across the country. We hadn't spoken in months, caught up in the busyness of our lives, the distance growing silently between us.


I decided to take a leave of absence from the hospital. The emotional toll of working in such an environment, coupled with the reminder of my estranged relationship with my father, made it clear that I needed time to reflect and heal. I

 packed my bags and booked a flight to visit him, hoping to mend the silent rift between us.


The flight was long and gave me too much time to think. I remembered the last argument my father and I had, over something trivial yet blown out of proportion. 

We had both said things we didn't mean, and pride had kept us from apologizing. As the plane descended, I felt a mixture of anxiety and hope. This visit was a chance to bridge the gap, to say the words that had been left unsaid.


My father was waiting at the airport. He looked older than I remembered, his hair grayer, his posture a little more stooped. But his eyes lit up when he saw me, and for a moment, the years melted away.


"Dad," I said, my voice catching. "I've missed you."


He hugged me tightly, and I felt a sense of relief wash over me. "I've missed you too, honey," he replied. "Let's go home."


Chapter 3

Healing Old Wounds


Back at my father's house, we settled into a comfortable routine. We talked about everything and nothing, slowly rebuilding the bond that had frayed over time. I shared stories from the hospital, and he listened intently, his eyes full of pride and concern.


One evening, as we sat on the porch watching the sunset, I told him about Mr. Williams and Janie. I recounted the heartbreak, the urgency, and the regret that had filled that night. My father listened quietly, his face reflecting the emotional weight of the story.


"You know, Sue," he said softly, "life is too short to hold onto anger. I'm glad you came home. We can't change the past, but we can make the most of the present."


Tears welled up in my eyes. "I know, Dad. I'm sorry for the distance, for everything."


He reached over and took my hand. "I am too. Let's promise to never let anything come between us again."


We sat there, hand in hand, as the sky turned shades of pink and orange. In that moment, I felt a deep sense of peace and gratitude. The scars of the past began to heal, and I realized that every moment was a chance to love, forgive, and cherish the people in our lives.




Epilogue: A New Beginning


Returning to the hospital, I felt different—lighter, more grounded. The lessons from room 712 stayed with me, guiding my interactions with patients and their families. I became more than just a nurse; I became a confidante, a mediator, and sometimes, a bearer of final messages.

One evening, a young woman named Emily was admitted to the hospital with severe pneumonia. She was estranged from her family, having left home years ago after a bitter argument. 

As I cared for her, I saw the same pain and regret that I had witnessed in Janie and Mr. Williams.

"Emily," I said gently one night, "is there someone you want me to call? Someone you need to make peace with?"

Her eyes filled with tears. "My mother," she whispered. "We haven't spoken in years. I don't even know if she would want to hear from me."

"Let's try," I encouraged her. "It's never too late."

I made the call, and Emily's mother answered. The conversation was filled with tears, apologies, and the promise of reconciliation. 

Emily's condition improved, and she left the hospital with a renewed sense of hope and a restored relationship with her mother.


Through these experiences, I learned that the power of forgiveness and love could heal even the deepest wounds.

 Room 712 became more than just a memory—it became a symbol of second chances, of the importance of saying "I love you," and of the fragile, precious nature of life.


Every day, I strive to carry the message of room 712 into my work and my life. I call my father regularly, cherishing our conversations and the bond we have rebuilt. 

And I continue to reach out to those around me, offering a listening ear, a kind word, and the hope of reconciliation.


May we all start each new day without the baggage of yesterday, and may we enjoy the presence of love and forgiveness in our lives.


Les

Enjoy reading for free; if you like the story, and would like to offer a donation it would really be appreciated

Blog Short Stories   I also write short stories for all. 

I am writing articles on health and safety, as well as the disciplinary process. Please share if you find them enjoyable.

Just Click Below.

 Blog Address 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silent Stalker

Winds of Change

The Last Wish of Margaret Dawson